Prepare for a career in finance on a programme that emphasises risk management, responsible banking and investment practices. The programme has close links with financial institutions and professional bodies. You have the opportunity to enhance your career potential through interactions with guest speakers who are leading figures in prominent financial services organisations such as the Treasury, Non-Bank Financial Institutions Regulatory Authority (NBFIRA).
- Benefit from close links with professional bodies such as the Chartered Institute for Securities and Invest-ment CISI), The Chartered Insurance Institute (CII) and the Association of Corporate Treasurers (ACT).
- Study post financial crisis case studies that illustrate how the banking industry has changed and how you can be part of a continually changing financial services industry.
- Network with alumni who work in some of the most respected financial services companies in the world.
- Learn from published academics and lecturers who have held roles in leading organisations.
The programme was designed in collaboration with financial institutions and major professional bodies. You cover all the relevant areas of banking and benefit from links with some of the industry’s major employers. You cover key areas, including:
- Portfolio management
- Credit analysis
- Global investment banking
- International financial markets
- Financial regulation
- International derivatives and risk
In the first year, you get a broad grounding in finance and related topics to ensure that you have a sound platform on which to build. You also begin to develop your IT and numerical skills. In the second and final year, you focus on banking and finance and start developing your specialisation. You study important topics such as credit analysis, portfolio management and investment banking and gain key skills required by employers. You also develop a greater understanding of the different financial roles within organisations.
Applicants should normally have:
- Passed Form 5, BGCSE/IGCSE or equivalent, in a minimum of 6 Subjects, including Mathematics and English Language.
- Minimum of 14 points in Maths and English combined.
DURATION OF PROGRAMME
3 years 6 months.
Gaborone & Francistown
MODE OF STUDY
•Use of ICT and Learning Resources
•Introduction to Venture Creation
•Business Communication and
•Financial Analysis for Business
•Financial and Management Information
•Understanding Financial Services
•Foundations of International Business
•Financial Services Regulation & Ethics
•Global Investment Banking
•Progressing Professional Development
•Principles of Investment
•Risk Management and Investment
•Strategic Issues in Financial Services
•Financial Decision Making
•International Derivatives and Risk
•Corporate Treasury Management
•International Financial Markets
This course is industry focused and equips you to progress quickly in banking and financial services. As a graduate you can find opportunities, as others have done, in the financial services and related industries. Graduates are likely to go onto further professional study.
With common routes being via the Chartered Institute for Securities and Investment (CISI), the Chartered Insurance Institute (CII), Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) and specific banking qualifications such as the Chartered.