IISA is a professional membership body for the South African insurance industry. The Institute’s vision is to help create “World Class Skills for a World Class Industry” by promoting skills development and professional conduct among members engaged in the insurance industry.
The Institute maintains a central body of knowledge and develops and sustains relationships with local insurance institutes and industry bodies, plus other similar institutes, worldwide. The Insurance Institute of South Africa has been modelled on the Chartered Insurance Institute of London and is affiliated to that body. Our members include corporate subscribers and individual professional members. The lISA serves the insurance industry as a whole, with the strongest support originating from the short term market.
- To offer a central organisation for the promotion of efficiency, progress, welfare, knowledge and general development among persons in the insurance industry.
- To promote and assist the study of insurance.
- To exercise control and supervision over the professional standards of the members to whom it has granted membership appropriate to their respective levels of qualification.
- To seek to improve the professional status of qualified practitioners and to promote interests, welfare and advancement of the members in general.
IISA collaborates with BAC in supplying knowledge material for students, prepares the examination material and arranges for the marking of examination papers and furnishes BAC with the results.
BOTSWANA ACCOUNTANCY COLLEGE’S(BAC) PARTNERSHIP WITH THE IISA
BAC is a registration centre for courses for everyone in Botswana. Prospective students who are self-tutoring and wish to take examinations can register with BAC at any time of the year. However, no students can be registered three weeks or less before examinations. Self-tutoring students must pick up registration forms at the college.
- To enroll for Certificate of Proficiency (CoP) courses at BAC, an applicant must have BGCSE (or its equivalent) C in English and Mathematics.
1. Certificate of Proficiency – optional pathways – (First level)
- Short term – applied to the short term Insurance Market
- Long term – applied to the long term Insurance Market
- Retirement funds – applied to the retirement fund Market
2. Intermediate Certificate in Business Studies (ICIBS) (Second level)
- Business Communications
- Business Calculations
- Business Organisations
- Practice in Short term Insurance
- Practice in Long term Insurance
- Practice in Retirement Funds
3. Licentiate – Optional pathways (Third level)
Short Term Insurance – Modules
- Personal Insurance Practice
- Risk Management
- Commercial Insurance Practice
- Short term Insurance Law
- Goods in Transit Insurance
Long Term Insurance – Modules
- Long term Insurance Law
- Life Underwriting
- Life Claims
- Business Life Insurance
- Health Insurance