The Association of African Universities (AAU) is holding the INAUGURAL WORKSHOP ON LEGAL ISSUES IN HEIs in AFRICA. This four day course workshops and visits in Botswana is aimed at introducing participants to some of the cross cutting legal issues in higher education administration and provide insight to some of the legal considerations that should guide their resolution. It also seeks to give an indication of the attitude of the courts towards some of the key legal themes that affect higher education. The issues raised and the reasoning provided is not based on particular legal system but on generic principles of law known to both civil and common-law jurisdictions.
• Current legal cases brought against/ involving HEIs in Africa
• How to conduct a prompt, thorough and equitable investigation
• Legal issues in hiring, promotion, and tenure
• The Laws guiding students and em-ployees affairs
• The legal status of HEIs
• Legal framework for governance at HEIs
• Intellectual Property Rights
• The Law on Sexual Harassment
• Data Protection
• Case Studies
• Small group discussions
• Circle learning
• Brainstorming/Buzz sessions
- Increase awareness of current legal cases involving/against HEIs in Africa
- Increasing awareness of legal pitfalls in the appointment, supervision, evaluation, tenure and promotion process
- Count on the participation of the workshop/conference to develop effective use of variety of internal dispute resolution mechanisms for students and employees to reduce the chance a complainant may resort to external legal process
- Perform in-depth legal audits to determine potential violations of law (for instance in environment safety)
- Initiate activities for managers to adopt a culture that ensures compliance with state regulations
- Increase awareness on intellectual property rights facing institutions and data protection measures
- Create a momentum for participating institutions to build a compliance team within the university.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND WORKSHOP DURATION
• Vice Chancellors,
• Deputy Vice Chancellors,
• University Legal Counsel
• Deans of Students Affairs,
• Deans of Faculties,
• Heads of Departments
• Other stakeholders interested in knowing more about Higher Education Law
The workshop will run for four (4) days. From 13-16 June, 2018 where sessions are delivered throughout the day. The last day which is Thursday will host fewer sessions so that participants have enough time in the day t to participate in the side events or travel.
The workshop will held on 13-16 June, 2018 at Travelodge Hotel
The course fee is $500 (+ Value Added Tax where applicable) per delegate.
This includes all workshop sessions, materials, lunches and refreshments.
Subject to demand and availability, some optional leisure activities would be organized.
The fee excludes the following:
• Airfare to and from Botswana ;
• breakfasts and dinners (mostly included in hotel package);
• Transport between accommodation and venue (if applicable).
Bed & Breakfast accommodation in Trave lodge Hotel can be arranged upon request.
TO REGISTER: https://www.research.net/r/HEIlegalissues or send an email to: email@example.com
The program will allow for some optional free time, and subject to demand and availability, the following organized leisure activities:
• A guided walking tour of the University of Bot-swana
• A guided tour at Mokolodi Nature Reserve
Attendance Certificate will be provided at the end of the workshop.
The training sessions will be delivered by experienced trainer and practitioner with direct experience in Law and Higher Education legal counsel.
Register to join the workshop at https:// www.research.net/r/HEIlegalissues and confirm partic-ipation by sending an email to Mr. Schenineda Kwaku Ankomah via firstname.lastname@example.org and copy email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org